Saturday, February 26, 2011

Folk Songs



I've been gathering songs I still love, songs that occur to me at times - most of them pre-rock from the fifties and folk songs, and so many of them speak the dharma - the truth, reality.  Above, "So long, it's been good to know you," sung by Woody Guthrie.  It's the Library of Congress recording, accompanied by photographs from the WPA, which are now available on a huge database.  If you have never seen these, prepare to get tears in your eyes.

It's interesting to me how the first batch of songs that have come to me (my playlist is here) are about the despair of the poor, starting with Tennessee Ernie Ford's "Sixteen Tons."  Music goes past just words and touches the heart, the whole body, the source of rhythm.  I have to figure out how to get playing my guitar again.

No comments:

Post a Comment