Monday, May 27, 2013

Sorry, Doctor is On His Boat and Out of Cellphone Reach

Such opportunities to practice I get from the medical establishment -

1.  I got a reminder robo-call from Millhon Clinic yesterday (Sunday) for an appointment for a mammogram there Tuesday. "No," (I explained to the woman, who was the only clerk left Friday at 5:00 after I had seen the last doctor and nurse still working) "this is diagnostic and Dr. Herrigel said it will be done at Riverside Hospital.  Because this symptom is an emergency."  Obviously I would have to wait three days before Riverside even called me to schedule the test.

Now I have to get up and call the clinic tomorrow, which usually takes a 10-minute wait listening to their ads for their services before you get a human being on the phone, make sure that wrong appointment did get cancelled, more importantly, make sure Riverside got the order.

If I have not heard by, say, 1:00 (after lunch hours)  I will call Riverside, thread my way through their menus, and learn that they never got the order.  Been there. It's not like I'm looking forward to this exam.

2.  I try just now to get into my OSU Transchart, another wonderful invention of the computer age, to check my last labs before I give myself a Procrit shot (brave girl!).  Because once, following the schedule for these shots got my hemoglobin up over 14.  You feel like Supergirl when your blood is that rich, until a terrible medical event ensues.

Can't get on Transchart, though.  It assures me my password is wrong.  I try twice more.  Aieee!  I breathe. In calm, out ease.  I am grateful I started meditating the last time I had breast cancer.  I request a new password.  It tells me it won't be done until next business day. Well, I know OSU Transplant well.  I'll be surprised if it's that fast.

I contemplate reality.

Fact:  The entire medical establishment profoundly desires to take off every three-day weekend, and the whole of Thanksgiving week and Christmas Eve through New Year's Day, and they do.  (Woe betide the person who is hospitalized then.)

Fact:  You better be your own doctor and stay on top of your health, because nobody else is going to.  But I knew that.

Zen practice:  Slow down, breathe deeply, sigh audibly.  Accept reality.  Human nature.  People have to be taught compassion for other beings, and really want to be out to lunch.  And most are.  Unlike other animals.  They are often an inspiration to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment