Saturday, January 23, 2016

Donald Trump Has It All Wrong


This is a sort of spoof by Jimmy Kimmel that represents Trump's philosophy. Trump seems to like it.

How things work together: this morning my email held a comment on my Christmas day post and this video from a beloved relative. The comment encouraged me.  The video had me thinking, The world isn't divided into winners and losers.

I see that win-win training is still taught, and seen as a set of negotiation skills. It seemed like more when I first heard about it. It seemed revolutionary. It posited that things go best when everyone's needs are met, that aggression is worse than useless. I agree.

The opposite of winning and losing is feeling that you have enough, and being satisfied. If you are reading this, you have access to a computer and leisure time to fool around on it, and probably have adequate shelter and food as well. That's just about enough, really.

There is a basic unsatisfactoriness built-in to human life, and that is that things change and we know they will. We will grow old, sick, and die, and we know that, or at least fear it. To be satisfied we have to realize that cause and effect are complicated and a lot of things are not in our hands, and relax with that. Winning at anything won't change it. And the fact that you're not striving to win doesn't mean you're a loser.

2 comments:

  1. You have to wonder if Trump really believes the garbage he says, but clearly his followers do. What happens to a winner when they lose? Maybe eventually they learn to understand what you're saying here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems unbelievable, but he says what they think. I'm afraid that when a winner loses, he can turn bitter and angry. That's what I've seen happen.

      Delete