Saturday, November 5, 2011

Especially for Janelle, but you can read it too

Read the right way, this poem is not negative. It makes horse droppings golden. You've been warned. You can read more about it at The Wondering Minstrel,a great site where you can get a random poem anytime you like.

Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy's Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota
by James Wright
 
 Over my head, I see the bronze butterfly
 Asleep on the black trunk,
 Blowing like a leaf in green shadow.
 Down the ravine behind the empty house,
 The cowbells follow one another
 Into the distances of the afternoon.
 To my right,
 In a field of sunlight between two pines,
 The droppings of last year's horses
 Blaze up into golden stones.
 I lean back, as the evening darkens and comes on.
 A chicken hawk floats over, looking for home.
 I have wasted my life.


1 comment:

  1. This is a lovely (poo) poem! Thanks so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete