Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My wish


We just watched a documentary on TED conferences.  Speakers were asked to talk about their one wish that would change the world.  Since I was an educator, mine came to me like this -
Teach every child to meditate.
What can meditation do for children?  Help with impulse control, anger management, enduring pain, self-discipline, sleep, stress control, focus . . . put them in touch with who they really are.  Help them slow down and make choices thoughtfully.  Help them learn to listen (not just "listen to" adults) and see.  I don't think I could list all it has done for me, all of which ends up increasing well-being.  I believe the most important social benefit is the taming of personal and cultural violence. 

How could daily meditation become part of the public school curriculum?  Where can action on this begin?  How else can it be offered to children?

I would love to hear your ideas.

2 comments:

  1. I love your idea, Jeanne. What would be a good age to introduce meditation & in what venue? Not all children would respond. Technique(s) would be general to avoid a 'religious' orientation. Could schools do it? Culture is an issue...Home schoolers? First thoughts....

    Meditation is an important part of my practice & has been a part of my life for over 30 years through all kinds of changes. As my life changes, I've grown meditative awareness into watercolour & oil painting and even in my yoga practice. Terry L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your wish. It's possible to teach children to meditate. In my preschool class for 8 years, children began the day closing their eyes and focusing on breath. Since it is a Montessori class with a 3 year span, the children had models for what it looks like--children who practiced. The longest we meditated with this age was about 5 minutes; most sessions lasted 3 minutes. One child said after a meditation, "I hear my heart."

    ReplyDelete