Saturday, August 21, 2010

On backing off from our thought-worlds

Usually people believe in their thoughts, and if you do, the trick is not to talk yourself out of them, just to look at them for a bit. You might be thinking something like, Here is an awful person, or I was right after all, this is hopeless. Then if you look at the scenarios that you are running, you can find the consequences of what you believe. In other words, you begin to notice the way you live. There is compassion in that. And you can also begin to notice if your thoughts are useful to you, if they help you to act.

Athletes are trained to not get interrupted by their scenarios. Otherwise if someone insults you on the field, you lose your game, and what’s the use of that? Another example would be for a disabled person to say, "I am disabled so I can’t do anything, my life is over." Even though you may have plenty of data points to back it up, that is a scenario that won’t help you. Without that thought-world you might find that you can be disabled and develop plenty of very satisfactory vices and live a rich, complicated and difficult life.

from John Tarrant, The Moon Sets at Midnight
[image:  Red leaf]

1 comment:

  1. Jeanne, I'm thinking about this that you write: "If you look at the scenarios that you are running, you can find the consequences of what you believe. In other words, you begin to notice the way you live." I'm examining my beliefs by giving time and attention to what I say and how I live to see the quality of the match-up.

    As ever, thank you for your blog.

    ReplyDelete