Monday, March 29, 2010

A postscript about living donation

[image: you'll have to imagine it - a bouquet of species daffodils - the web site just isn't up to posting photos today.]

I realize that yesterday's post just opened the door to a lot of questions. Some of them are neatly answered at this site.

If you'd like to talk to someone about it, you can call the OSU Transplant Coordinator at 1-800-293-8965.

One thing is misleading in the article I posted yesterday. It implies that the donor had to "match" the recipient. This is no longer necessary. Using computers, there is now a system for "pairing" so that even if you don't match me, it can be arranged for you to give your kidney to someone, and some other willing donor give theirs to me. This is neatly drawn out here.

If you do go to the above site, you'll see reference to "altruistic donation," a phrase that is used to mean that people just donate a kidney without having any recipient in mind. A simple donation, the way you give money to help Haiti, for example. But in my book, a live donation is always altruistic: Characterized by kindness and concern for others, benevolent, goodhearted, kind.

And, well, I am going to write a little at another time about my personal need, how kidney failure has affected me, and what a transplant could do for my life. For now, I have to sign off and go exercise.

The daffodils are blooming in the front yard. The white ones in the back yard have gradually stood back up after being bowed under by the late March snow. The weatherman says on Easter Sunday it will be 78 degrees. Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment